Foodie's Guide to Eating Well

Thoughts on food, cooking, and dining out

Saturday, August 25, 2007

I feel like a lobster roll.

That was my husband's request when, last night, we discussed a venture out into the city for lunch today. Lobster roll, huh? I know just the place.

I've lived in Boston for just over ten years and, in that time, I've become more and more of a foodie. To my great pleasure, the city has kept up with my interest by adding more & more great restaurants than one girl can reasonably try - but I do my best. I even have a spreadsheet to help me keep track. Super nerdy, I know.

I'd just been making some updates to said spreadsheet when my crustacean-loving partner began making demands. There is, of course, an entry on my sheet for B&G Oysters in the South End. Having heard about their infamous lobster roll, I knew that would satisfy Paul's hankerings.

Now, having just claimed to be a major Boston foodie, I am about to admit something that shames me greatly. I have never eaten at No. 9 Park. Sigh. It's been on my "list" forever, I've just never actually managed to get there. So, the idea of having a little impromptu lunch at one of the places in uber-Boston-chef, Barbara Lynch's, growing empire, was very good indeed. Before making a final commitment, I warned Paul, "it's going to be kind of expensive... probably $20 for just the lobster roll." "No problem." Really? Great, let's go!

We headed out at about one o'clock for the quick trip to the South End. One fabulous thing about lunch in the city? The parking! We pulled easily into a metered spot just a block down Tremont from the restaurant. As we entered the subterranean little space, I noticed their great patio for al fresco dining. At nearly 100 degrees and high humidity, we'll save that for another day. On entering, the first thing I notice is the size of the restaurant - tiny! - with low ceilings. That's a lot coming from me, since I am 5'2". However, the cramped space is all in the name of a good cause - at least half of the floor plan is taken up by the exposed kitchen. I pretty much love any place where you get to be privy to watching the chefs cook. The decor is super serene and calming - all brown-gray tones with intricately patterned, wood-paneled walls on one end and glass-tiled walls on the other.

Despite already having passed the lunch rush by the time we arrived, we waited for a few moments at the host station and ended up with a table by the door. Aside from that, service was good - quick and knowledgeable, if not friendly. The first thing I notice when we are handed our menus is the price of the lobster roll - $25. I laugh out loud. Oh well, we're here now! The menu is limited, which is fine. We're here for the lobster, which means we are totally ready to order by the time the waiter comes to inquire about drinks.

Since we've come to place dedicated to a delicacy that neither Paul nor I actually eat (oysters), we order a few pieces of shrimp cocktail as a compulsory nod to the raw bar. The shrimp are excellent - gigantic and firm, served on this perfect bed of crushed ice. The cocktail sauce is tasty, though I would have preferred more horseradish. Paul likes a mild cocktail sauce, so he was quite content.

Just a few moments after finishing our shrimp, our entrees arrive. For Paul, the traditional lobster roll; for me, the lobster BLT. Now, before I go on here, I need to be forthcoming about two things. First, I know lobster pretty well. I went to college in Maine and I've spent a few summer weeks in one Maine seacoast town or another since I was thirteen. Secondly, I am a purist. Lobster needs a little melted butter - nothing more, nothing less. So I am not sure what possessed me to order a big pile of lobster only to fuss it up with bacon, semi-dried tomatoes, and a giant ciabatta bun.

As a BLT alone, the sandwich would have been an absolute standout - thick bacon, with sweet, smoky tomatoes, and soft, powdery bun - and it would have been a relative bargain at $13. The lobster got lost in the smokiness and bread-y-ness. Luckily, Paul and I did half-sies and I got to try a good portion of the traditional roll. It was delicious - just touched with a hint of mayo and sprinkle of chives. Definitely the way to go... though, still a lot to swallow (or a little, as the case may be) for more than twenty bucks.

I would also be remiss to not mention the sides that come with the sandwiches, as they were outstanding and beautifully plated. For me, homemade potato chips fresh from the fryer with lots of weird shapes, just the way you want them. Paul's lobster roll came with fries that were - there is no other word - perfect. Brown and crispy with a dusting of coarse Kosher salt and a little parsley. Yum! Both plates came with slightly sweet pickle chips and excellent coleslaw - super thin strips of cabbage with a vinegar dressing.

Overall, I'd give B&G Oysters (550 Tremont Street, Boston, MA 02118) a B+. Solid entrees with great attention to the sides in a pleasant setting and good service.

I am looking forward to my next outing to Toro on Tuesday! Who hasn't heard about that corn on the cob? I will be sure to report back.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home