Foodie's Guide to Eating Well

Thoughts on food, cooking, and dining out

Saturday, October 23, 2010

S5

Let governments have their G5... I'll take my S5 any day. A morning trip to the Roslindale Farmers' Market left me inspired to create a sandwich based on the four basic elements of taste - sweet, salty, sour, and spicy (the common expression for the fourth taste is "bitter," but, well, that has negative connotations and it doesn't fit into my "s" theme). So, I present the Sweet, Salty, Sour, Spicy Sandwich, or the S5 for short.

The elements that I've chosen for the S5 are fromage blanc, bacon, pears, honey, and arugula. Every last bit of it is local, from small Mass farms, which makes it all the better.



This sandwich requires a little prep, so it makes for a good weekend lunch. All in, it takes about 15 minutes to prepare... the amount of ingredients below is for two sandwiches.

Cook up four slices of bacon... this is your salty. These succulent looking strips come from Spring Brook Farm in Littleton, MA. Farm-fresh bacon is ridic delicious, but it cooks up fast due to a lower amount of preservatives - so watch it. You'll see that I overdid mine.



While the bacon is cooking, wash your arugula. Arugula has a great spicy bite, which is going to create the perfect balance in this sandwich.



Next, let's work on the sweet... peeled, sliced pears. Any variety of pear will work, just choose your favorite. Try and make your slices thin, but, unless you're competing on the Food Network, don't sweat what they look like - they'll be all tucked into the sammy and no one will notice.



Finally, slice up your bread. For this sandwich, I chose a fresh baguette from Fornax Bakery. Again, you can choose any hearty bread or roll that you like. However, I trust that I don't need to tell you that - when it comes to sandwich making - there is no single element more important than the bread! Make sure you are choosing the best bread you can get your hands on. This means, do not be lazy and put this on Wonder Bread. Go to your local bakery, for goodness sakes.



Ok, we're ready for assembly! Slather both sides of the bread with a soft cheese - this is your sour. I chose Fromage Blanc from Foxboro Cheese Company. It's made with raw milk and you can taste the farm in every curd. This cheese is sick good. Even the Boston Globe says so.



Now, layer cooked bacon strips on each half of the bread, topped with the pear slices. Finally, lightly drizzle honey over the pears. When I am particularly passionate about a certain ingredient, I'll let you know - this is one. Make the investment in quality honey - you will notice the difference! The one I use from Oxbow River Bank is so sweet, light, and floral, it reminds me of why the ancient Greeks spoke of honey in their odes. Seriously, it's that good.



Pile on a handful of the arugula and you are good to go! Thank goodness - I can't wait to eat!



If you are an exceptionally nice spouse (!), you'll save one of the sandwiches for your husband who is out washing the car. However, if you end up eating them both, no one needs to be the wiser.



Dig in!



This sandwich is a little more work than slapping some peanut butter and jelly on some bread (which, don't get me wrong - I totally enjoy once in a while), but it's a great weekend treat and an awesome example of how far you can take the bounty of local ingredients - even in New England in the fall! Enjoy.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger S. said...

This sandwich looks SO GOOD. Please send me one posthaste.

October 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home