Foodie's Guide to Eating Well

Thoughts on food, cooking, and dining out

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

O Christmas Apps...

It's officially December. A full month of cocktail parties - drinking too much, eating too much, kissing the cheeks of people you barely know. How many do you count on your calendar? I have four at the moment, with the possibility of a few more... a friend from work has nine. NINE! Including one he plans to host himself. To help him get through the season as unscathed as humanly possible, I offered to "serve up" (pun fully intended) a list of a few of my favorite party appetizers.

I love to cook, but I tend to be a little lazy about it, so virtually all of these are simple, quick to prepare, and include ingredients that are easy to find. Plus, they can all be prepared in advance - an absolute requirement for me whenever I am entertaining. You'll also see some patterns in what I like to eat, including ethnic foods, seafood, healthy & organic food (when possible), and savory balance in everything - even the sweets.

Thai Crab Cakes with Cilantro Peanut Sauce
These are a really cool take on a classic. Plus, they sound and look way more complicated than they are to prepare - the bright flavors are what will fake out your guests. If I can Betty Crocker-out on you for a second: I actually won a potluck award with this recipe one time.

Spiced Walnuts
This recipe is very close to one that my mom makes every holiday season, so it's a sentimental favorite for me. Everyone loves these... they'll be the first thing gone, I promise.

Spinach-Artichoke Dip
I made this for the first time for Thanksgiving and it was really yummy - it's a good replica of what you might order in a restaurant. My sister-in-law ate the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. I served it with tortilla chips. An added bonus: it travels well.

Camarones con Hierbas y Citricos (Citrus-Herb Shrimp)

This is a Latin recipe that is really more intended for the summer, but it's so good, I think it would be a success any time of year. Again, a great twist on the traditional shrimp cocktail. To make this even easier, buy the prepared shrimp at the grocery store and follow the recipe from there - the flavor will be just as good.

Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions, and Fig Jam
This is the only thing on this list that is a little "fussy" and labor-intensive, but it's well worth it. The blend of earthy flavors in this is spectacular. The fig jam might be a little hard to find - try a gourmet shop, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods. Try to assemble these no more than about an hour before serving them - you can quickly broil them if you want them to be hot.

Pretzel Turtles
Ok, I have to admit that I haven't made this yet... but I am going to for my next function this coming week. There is a candy on the market called Take 5 which is a perfect sweet-salty balance and these sound like a great homemade version! The recipe makes fifty, but I'm going to seriously double it. Who doesn't want to eat these?

If just reading this makes you want to hide under a pile of wrapping paper, rather than prepare dishes for a slew of parties, go for the bottle a wine - it's sure to be a hit and a heck of a lot less work! I find that the following are always crowd-pleasers:

Ravenswood Zinfandel

Argyle Pinot Noir
Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Kris Pinot Grigio

Have a happy, well-fed, tasty holiday season! 2008 will be here before we know it...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home